Triple Threat Cake (Peanut Butter, Banana and Chocolate) which I created from a hodgepodge of recipes in my Cupcakes cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens coobook and Hershey's website.
I baked the middle layer first so that by the time the first layer was cool enough to use I could begin cake assembly and by the time I was done with the first two layers the thrid would be cool enough to frost. Here are the recipes:
First Layer: Peanut Butter (adapted from Cupcakes)
- 4 tbsps softened butter
- 1 1/8 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 5/8 cups all purpouse flour
- 2tsp baking poweder
- 1/3 cup milk
2. Beat butter, sugar and peanbut butter together until well mixed and creamy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
4. Stir in flour and powder, alternating with the milk.
5. Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
Second Layer: Banana (BHG)
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all purpouse flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup ripe mashed bananas (3)
- 3/4 cup sour milk/buttermilk (I used milk and vinegar)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Let eggs stand at room temp for half an hour. Grease a baking pan and set aside.
2.Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
3.Add bananas, milk, shortening and vanilla. Beat on low until combined.
4.Beat in eggs
5.Bake at 350 for 22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
Third Layer: Chocolate (adapted from Hershey's)
- 1 3/4 cup all purpouse flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 cup milk
2.Add butter, sour cream, eggs, milk and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 3 minutes.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Frosting: PB Cream Cheese
7 cups powdered sugar
2 softened bricks cream cheese
2/3 cups PB
Beat ingredients until smooth and fluffy.
3 bananas, sliced
Thinkly slice bananas. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Place slices between layers.
If desired top with a chocolate ganache made from either cream and chocolate or butter and chocolate (butter will make it thickerr faster)
Rating? The usual bearer of baked goods at my husband's work declared me "Baker of the Month" and told Mike that I should open a bakery. And the entire cake was eaten that day!