Two best friends, baking and blogging across the miles

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Savoury Scones

Lu challenged me to make something that orginated somewhere fabulous. I've been missing Scotland and the carefree feeling I associate with my time there. I had every intention of making scones and was debating between lemon blueberry and chocolate cherry, when a recipe for bacon scones from Brown Eyed Baker landed in my inbox.

Here's the recipe:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 stick chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
4 green onions, thinly sliced
10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into 1-inch pieces
3/4 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk*
1 large egg
2 tsp. water

*I used lemon juice mixed with 2%milk instead of buttermilk

Cook the bacon. When it cools tear it into one inch pieces.



Mix the flour and baking powder and cut in the butter until the chunks aren't any bigger than peas.


Stir in the cheese, onions and bacon pieces.
Add the buttermilk until the dough sticks  to itself. Roll into a ball and put it on a floured surface. Roll the ball out until it is in a circle about 8 inches wide and (most importantly I think) 1/2 inch thick. My circle was about 12 inches wide but was 1/2 inch thick.

Cut into 8-10 wedges and coat with the eggwash made from the whisked egg and water.


Bake on parchment paper or a silicone mat for 15-22 minutes. Mine took 15 minutes. They should be lightly brown on top and not sticky in the middle.  I tested mine with a toothpick.


I think these were fantastic and I definitely want to make them again. I made them for us to have for a quick breakfast tomorrow (Easter) before driving to my sister in law's church but I ate 1.5 of them tonight!

They have a wonderful flavor and texture. I guess its the egg wash that gives them a the wonderful, yet slighty eggy taste? Whatever it is, it adds the perfect touch!

HOTGLUE: Hurry up and make your cupcakes chica! And let  me know when you've got another challenge for me!

1 comment:

  1. haha, when raul saw these had bacon that was the deciding factor for me to try these too! i'll let you know how they come out. any tips on shaping them?

    ReplyDelete